Also in this 2022 edition of the Davis Cup there was no shortage of surprises even before the start of the matches, linked above all to renunciations. In addition to the already announced Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, two other luxury athletes have given up.
The first is Sascha Zverev, who continues to carry out the long rehabilitation after the serious injury at Roland Garros and has announced that he has bone edema. The German will not help his team but could finally return to the ATP circuit on the occasion of a 500 in Tokyo, in which he is currently enrolled.
The second novelty concerns Italy’s first opponent in Emilia-Romagna on Wednesday 14 September: in fact, the expert Marin Cilic will not help Croatia in the event and his place will be taken by Borna Gojo (known for having beaten Sonego last year on this same occasion), who in all likelihood will play against Matteo Berrettini on his debut.
All groups and players involved
Here is the composition of the four teams included in group A, who will play in Bologna:
Group B in Valencia, which includes the ambitious Spanish team.
- Spain: Carlos Alcaraz, Roberto Bautista Agut, Albert Ramos-Vinolas, Pedro Martinez, Marcel Granollers.
Captain Sergi Bruguera.
- Serbia: Miomir Kecmanovic, Filip Krajinovic, Laslo Djere, Dusan Lajovic, Nikola Cacic. Captain Viktor Troicki.
- Canada: Felix Auger-Aliassime, Vasek Pospisil, Alexis Galarneau, Gabriel Diallo. Captain Frank Dancevic.
- South Korea: Soon-woo Kwon, Seong-chan Hong, Ji-sung Nam, Min-kyu Song.
Captain Seungkyu Park.
The teams currently made official in group C, on stage in Hamburg. In Glasgow the fourth and final grouping of the competition.
- Great Britain: Cameron Norrie, Daniel Evans, Andy Murray, Joe Salisbury, Neal Skupski. Captain Leon Smith.
- United States: Taylor Fritz, Tommy Paul, Jack Sock, Rajeev Ram.
Captain Bob Bryan.
- Kazakhstan: Alexander Bublik, Mikhail Kukushkin, Dmitry Popko, Aleksandr Nedovyesov, Andrey Golubev. Captain Yuriy Schukin.
- Netherlands: Botic van de Zandschulp, Tallon Griekspoor, Tim van Rijthoven, Wesley Koolhof, Matwé Middelkoop. Captain Paul Haarhuis.