Prince Harry arrived late at Balmoral on the night of Elizabeth II’s death and refused to dine with his father and brother William
It was once again the presence of Meghan Markle to cause the last split within the British royal family. Prince Harry – reveals the Sun – refused to dine with the new King Charles and his brother William, on the evening of the queen’s deathafter the father he had forbidden Meghan to come to Balmoral together with the other royals at Elizabeth’s bedside. And due to the quarrel, Harry missed the flight that took the other royals to Scotland.
Last 8 September the dukes of Sussex were in Londonengaged in a European tour, when the news arrived that the queen was dying. The whole royal family then rushed to Balmoral Castlein Scotland, where the sovereign was spending her summer holidays: Harry wanted to take Meghan with him too, but was stopped by Carlo, who judged the presence of the former American actress “inappropriate”.
A furious quarrel ensued, because of which Harry did not have time to board the private flight that took William, Prince Andrew, the other son of the queen, Edward, and his wife Sophie to Scotland. Harry was therefore forced to travel alone and arrived late: even, the BBC gave the announcement of Elizabeth’s death, at 6.30 pm, when the Duke of Sussex was still flying.
That evening Charles, now king, his wife Camilla, queen consort, and William dined together at Birkhall, the residence of Charles on the Balmoral estate: Harry had been invited to join them but, still furious about the ban against Meghan, he preferred to spend the evening with his uncles Andrea and Edoardo. The next morning, at the crack of dawn, Harry immediately left Balmoral and went straight back to his wife in London aboard a scheduled flight. Over the next few days William tried to settle the dispute by inviting Harry and Meghan to meet the crowd in Windsor with him and Kate. But it was only a facade truce: even though Meghan was present at the procession behind the queen’s coffin and at her funeral in Westminster Abbey, she and Harry immediately left for California the day after Elizabeth’s funeral.
William is said to be very reluctant to talk to his brother lest their conversations end inmemoir Harry is about to publish
: the volume, which promises to be explosive, was due to come out in November but would have been postponed to the beginning of next year following the death of Elizabeth. Even the veiled threats pronounced by Meghan in an interview at the end of August, where the Duchess said she had kept quiet many things up to now, but was always ready to spill the beans, did not help to calm the waters.
A few days ago an American journalist claimed that Meghan would write a letter to Carlo to ask for a personal meeting: but the circumstance was judged very unlikely in London, as Harry has direct access to his father. Whatever it is, the death of the queen, instead of settling the differences, seems to have exacerbated the wounds caused by the schism of the Dukes of Sussex.
September 23, 2022 (change September 23, 2022 | 11:29)
© REPRODUCTION RESERVED